Sunday, September 12, 2010

Maybe the topic is hair again

I'm not blogging consistently about anything anywhere. I have another blog but I'll continue the hair commentary on this side.

So, I recently did the Big Chop after wearing my hair relaxed for 2 years. Although I say I should have loced my hair instead of relaxing it at that time, I probably wouldn't have been successful at that time. My frustration was at an all time high and I would have needed to figure out a way to get past all of those emotions and take the time to research locing.

I plan to loc sometime next year. I initially said that as soon as I get 3 inches, I'm going to loc but I may wait a little longer. I'm not sure. There are no hard and fast rules. I still worry about the ugly stage, but it will be so I'll just have to accept it. I'm thinking that the ugly stage might be more tolerable if my hair is longer but the thing is my shrinkage is a beast...I'm talking about a good 75%, maybe more. Do you see this...


Incredible! So my point is...a few extra inches won't matter at all because my hair won't show it. I may as well start my locs sooner rather than later and maybe once they loc, I'll start showing length. It might be less frustrating. I don't really know of course; this is pure speculation. Someone on NP said, your hair grows around and then down. Around for the first year and then down after that. 

I think this time (before I have 3 inches) is good. I'm doing a lot of research, taking notes. I need to organize them better though. I may create a blog post that I constantly update with my "plans" regarding care and maintenance. I have several playlists in YouTube too:
  1. Loc Maintenance
  2. Loc Tutorials
  3. Loc Journeys