Monday, January 16, 2006

I Trimmed it Myself



I had really been going back and forth about making an appointment for a trim. I didn't want to sit in a salon and I was afraid of the heat. I didn't think a barber would be better, because he's not used to working with longer natural hair. When I went the first time, he encouraged me to keep it short. So anyway, a lot of people on NP had been trimming their hair themselves and I decided to give it a go. I figured, I couldn't make too much of a mess and I don't wear it blown out anyway. So, if I didn't get it perfect no one would know.

I went to Sally's and bought a cheap pair of shears...$10. They can get pretty expensive, but I'm not a pro, I don't intend to do this often and I'm not rich. I contemplated trying to cut it wet, but I knew I wouldn't be able to see clearly, so I blew it out. Of course after reading all of the horror stories, I was nervous, but I blew my hair dry for 15 years before I permed it so I decided not to freak. I even increased the heat so that all sections would be equally stretched. I could definitely tell that the ends needed to go. I sectioned it off and began snipping away. I probably cut 1/4 of an inch and I think I did a pretty good job. I like the blow out with the headband better than the straight fro.