Saturday, December 25, 2010

On the Grow


I have 2.5" of hair so I'm still on the path to having 3" by the end of February, which is supposed to be some magic number so I can start my locs but I'm not absolutely sure about that. I'm beginning to think that I may have more success with longer hair. I really want to start my locs sooner rather than later, but I don't want to rush and be unnecessarily frustrated as a result.

I just sent Kim of Kimmaytube a message asking for advice for shorter hair. Clearly my hair is not long enough for protective styling and won't be for a minute. I'm already noticing a few knots here and there and we know that's just the beginning. In addition, my hair texture is nothing like hers. She has far less shrinkage than I do. I think the key to me retaining my length until I loc will be to wear it stretched as much as possible. The question is...at what length will I be able to do that. I feel like once I have enough hair to do that, I'll have enough hair to loc. I don't know what I'll ultimately end up doing but I'm feeling like I really need more hair to loc successfully.

Right now I'm still partial to using some of the techniques that people with straighter hair use, primarily because of the texture of the back of my head. Someone on NP recommended using different techniques for different parts of my hair but I am not interested in that look at all. Braidlocs might still be an option with more length.

Hair Growth Projections:
   End of February - 3"
   End of April - 4"
   End of June - 5" (Mel's Wedding)

   Beginning of October - Homecoming (6.5")

The two events that I'm most concerned about are my soror's wedding in June and Homecoming in October. I am not interested in looking like a work in progress for either of those events.