Friday, December 31, 2010

This Morning

Warning: Rambling Ahead...

This morning, I'm feeling like I should just finger coil my hair and be done with it. I never gave my first set a chance because I didn't think they'd make it it. I'm still worried about the back and am not sure what I'm going to do to keep it presentable and coiled. I can't remember for sure, but I think I went to sleep with a damp head last time. This time I'll make sure that I do my hair in the morning so it's dry by the evening. I'm not going to sit under the dryer or anything...or maybe I will for just a little while. I'm thinking I'll still have smushed hair in the morning and will need to do something about it, particularly the sides and back. I absolutely do not want to soak my hair every day like I tried last time. I may test spritzing on Sunday and see if it helps. Or maybe I can just wet my fingers and twirl the coils to help them get their umph back.

I'm searching on Nappturality while I write this post and it seems like this problem won't last forever...not sure how encouraging this is, but it is what it is.

I also decided that I will make no public proclamations this time. I need to prove to myself that I can stick with it and all of the frustration that comes. I'll document my journey privately and post photos once I make it 3 months. I hated having to retract the start of my journey next time so I'll hold everything until I can prove my tenacity :)

I've been keeping up with MrMustBeNice1's journey on YouTube and his hair is softer and way looser than mine and he's seeing great progress at 3 months. He started off getting his hair retwisted every 2 weeks and although it seems excessive based on what I've read, it seems to have worked well for him. I think he's stretching it out longer now to decrease expenses but I might just follow his lead initially. TBey says that she retwists hers every other week and has been doing that for a while with no detrimental affects. I think some of that depends on your hair. Her hair seems to be a lot thicker than mine and can handle the frequent manipulation. Another key is to do it while your hair is wet.

I'm looking at the set of coils I started and then undid at the beginning of this month and those parts are entirely too big. I know I have a small head but I need to make them smaller. I suppose it's safer to go smaller because I can always combine later but I won't be able to make larger locs smaller.

I'm looking at one lady's album and it looks like she has maybe 7 on the bottom row.