Sunday, January 09, 2011

Week 1

01.01.10 - DAY 1




01.09.10 - WEEK 1

I said I wouldn't speak on my journey publicly until I made it to one month, so I'm saving this post until then. Overall, I felt really good about my first week. I did a pretty good job of keeping my hands out of my hair. I did feel the back which was completely flat by week's end. I refused to even look at it in the mirror because I knew I'd want to retwist it.

I had no urges to undo my work, which is good because it took me forever to coil my hair.

By the end of the week, my plan was to simply retwist the back two rows. However, my scalp had begin to itch just a bit so I figured I'd just wash it and retwists it. I used a wave cap that I purchased last month and used diluted clear shampoo in a spray bottle.



I can't say if my scalp got really clean, but I'm not worrying about that too much right now.

I was a little nervous when I removed the cap, because I wasn't sure whether or not I'd be able to find my sections.

Surprisingly, when I began separating my hair to retwist it, I could actually feel the sections, even in the back where it appeared as though they didn't hold. I was really amazed that beneath the fuzz and wet hair I had sections. I didn't time my retwist section, but I think it took me about an hour, which was a relief. I'm not taking this journey to spend a ton of time maintaining my hair. Once my hair is loced, that time will probably decrease because I won't have to sit in front of the mirror. I'll probably be able to feel my way through.

The final result looks pretty good. I just used aloe vera gel to retwist.


I do not want to wash and retwist my hair every week. I'd like to go at least 2 weeks between retwisting but I really got nervous about the itching. I'm hoping that washing it will help it tangle. Everyone says how much locs love water. I could feel as I retwisted that some of the hair had begun to tangle on the ends of my coils, so I could tell how the buds would eventually appear there.

I wonder if the back of my hair will fare better this week or if it will look the same. If it does the same thing, I think I'll retwist just the back. I don't know. I'm probably lying. I really need to start working out and if I do, I'll definitely need to wash my hair once a week.