Monday, November 21, 2005

Are They Really Concerned with Hair Health?

I used to think my stylist was concerned with the health of my hair more than styling and the profit she made from applying caustic chemicals to my hair and scalp. However, that is clearly a contradiction. We recently had a discussion on NP about Beauticians Not Knowing How to Do Natural Hair. The OP witnessed a young girl getting her hair blowdryed in a salon as "big clusters of hair was FLYING all over the floor. "

A few poignant notes:
  • Think about it. Why aren't there any nappy-headed mannequins? (AuNappturale)
  • When I went to Cosmetology school, natural hair wasn't something that was taught. There was a section in our book called Thermal Styling which showed how to press natural hair, but nowhere in the textbook did it have a section on natural hair care. It was a shame cause we had 4 black instructors and none of them could tell you about natural hair. When I told one of them I wanted to go into natural styling, she looked at me like and told me more money was in relaxers and weaves. Its a shame we have had to use relaxers so long we have lost touch with who we are. (Trickie Tam)
  • Stylists TODAY don't know about hair health or how to do natural hair. I don't ever remember this type of hair drama when I was little. My mother (who is 69 and a beautician) knew how to do natural hair. She is the one who told me how to grow my hair out and what products to use when I experienced breakage, etc. Old school stuff that she used back in the day to get hair to grow and be healthy...not motions or affirm or any of that. (WildlyBeautiful)