Sunday, June 10, 2007

It's been a long time


I haven't blogged in so long...I have plenty of random things to say about my hair journey...

I have gotten my NP addiction under control and sometimes go a week or longer without logging on, but when I do I realize how much I miss our sisterhood. It's so refreshing and inspiring.

I'm moving right along with my growth. I'm at 7.5 inches and the front reaches my bottom lip :) My short term goal is chin length for the front. I'm hoping for a solid 10 inches by December. I think I'll get it professionally trimmed once I reach 11. That way if I lose 1 inch, I won't have a conniption [I have never seen this work on paper before, but I think that's the correct spelling]. And yes, I will have a conniption if I lose too much hair. It's been such a challenging experience growing my nappy hair that I am more attached to it than is probably healthy LOL.

I had a short moment when I wanted to trim the back so it could grow into a bob, but after I did my mini twists, I realized that I was trippin' :) I love the way the back looks just like it is.

So I finally figured out the whole stretched hair thing. I think I imagined the hair stretched to almost straight, but that's not it at all. It's weird, because it doesn't appear really stretched but when It's twisted it hangs. I can't really explain it but it's cool. I also did a halfway successful braid out last week. I still need to time it right so it is actually dry when I get up in the morning. My ceiling fan helped a little. The top is always frizzy. I think it will just be that way; I'm not really sure. It's more wavy than coily and if it's not dry all the way it's just fuzzy. At any rate, I love my hair and I'm glad that I'm finally figuring some things out. This enabled me to split up my hair styling process, which was great.

My grandmother told me she stopped getting relaxers...I guess I did give her something to think about. I don't know how long that will last...can't really see her rocking a fro or twists, but I'll keep you posted.

I just read the cutest thread about ladies' significant others and husbands loving their hair and feeling it...I'm gonna pray for one of them :)

I hope I'm an inspiration to others. I hope that by seeing me switch up my hair that they realize they could also do the same. I know everyone has their "but my hair isnn't like yours" comments, but it's still a testimony to what our hair can do. I personally think that coarser hair looks more beautiful...especially twists...oooo!
I love it that people saw me when I bc'd and now and can see very clearly that nappy hair grows! Hopefully, it will make them think about why they are not seeing the same growth with their permed hair. And as most of us NP'ers know...it's not so much about the growth as the retention of that growth. Note to self to stay twisted up!