Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Other People's Hair

So there's a girl who rides the bus with me and I noticed some waves along the edges of her hair (new growth) and was secretly hoping that she was transitioning. Well, Monday, it was pretty obvious that she had a fresh perm and a mini haircut. I was disappointed. I know it shouldn't matter to me, but I just have this hope that one day all Black women will be free from the lye...Corny, but true.

Another lady on the bus asked me how long it took me to do my hair (current style: mini twists). I told her 3 hours and she did not seem happy with that idea. I know it seems like a long time, but I told her it lasts 2 weeks...I love my twists! Another girl on the bus said she thought I got someone else to do it...of course I have to say...I can't pay someone to do my hair :) I didn't say this...but I stopped doing that years ago. I didn't necessarily think that they did a better job than me. It was just nice having someone else do it. I think all women, particularly nappies, should learn to do their hair themselves. To rely on someone else for the health of your hair is not a cool move IMO.