Thursday, August 25, 2005

Still At It

I'm still on nappturality.com...today's research topics are cutting, olive oil, clarifying, and flexirods. The site is really acting up though, that's irritating. I decided to go to Happily Natural Day on Saturday in Richmond. I'm hoping to get information about stylists in the area. I looked at the site and they listed two from previous celebrations, but then when I tried to find them on the web or in the yellow pages, they were no where to be found. There has to be more than one shop in Richmond.

I was reading an earlier post and they made some good points about the lack of training among African-American hair stylists in the area of natural haircare and styling. That of course enables the few natural haircare stylists to charge an arm and a leg. That really sucks. I'm pretty sure that it will be essential for me to get my hair professionally cut once it's time. I want a cut that I could wear straight as well. A well shaped fro is essential. Although, I'm not sure that I'll be that brave off the bat. I'm so conflicted, it's a shame. I guess it will depend on what my hair does.


I really want to wear protective hair styles during this transition phase. I think I'm going to experiment this weekend with a flat twist-out and roll the ends on flexirods. I'll definitely post pictures. I need to start getting used to the new growth which will ultimately be what I'm working with. It's crazy that I've never attempted to style my natural hair naturally, but I guess it's not so crazy since that was not the style back in the 80's when I was natural.