Friday, September 23, 2005

Adding a Topic

I'm going to add my skin care/battle against acne to this blog. I referenced the problem when I BC'd a few weeks ago. The no hair thing makes me even more aware of my skin. I'll keep pictures in a private album to track my progress.

My skin had been relatively clear for years until this year and I am only breaking out on the left side of my face. I'm trying to flip and change my pillowcases more often, but I think I may know a reason. Like many acne sufferers out there, as soon as I see a whitehead, I pop it. I even bought a "tool" from the drugstore to aid in getting rid of this unsightly crap on my face. Well, as I read yesterday, that can spread the bacteria or something beneath the skin and cause more breakouts. That definitely looks like what I've done, because earlier in the year, once I got rid of one, I had another pop up nearby. This is what's happened this time as well. Well, in order to avoid the label neurotic, I made a conscious effort not to pop these 2. I've been pretty consistent with my skincare regimen and doing really well with water Monday - Friday for the past 2 weeks. Someone did tell me that neosporin helps heal whiteheads so I've been using it for the past 2 days and the white part itself is gone, but I still have one red bump. I'm promising myself I will be patient and not think about how gross my face must be to look at.

The Regimen:

AM: Wash with Glycare Cleansing Gel with glycolic acid, tone with Neutrogena Clear Pore Astringent with saliclyic acid, apply a thin layer of aloe vera gel to left side of face, moisturize with Oil of Olay Total Effects.

PM: Same as above, but moisturize with Vitamin E oil

I'm also taking zinc which they say could help. I've also stopped using my foundation.

I know this big red bump will eventually go away. I just wanted it to go away yesterday. But since I probably created it, then I'll have to live with it. The aloe vera gel is supposed to help with the scars and it's received rave reviews on NP, so I figure it can't hurt. I may have noticed a difference, but really it still doesn't look like I want it to look so...I guess I'll document it weekly.

They say it may take 3 months to see improvement, so I'm going to hang in here and try not to be so self conscious. It took a lot not to put foundation on yesterday to cover up this crap. I even went to work with a light layer of neosporin on the bump. I am really trying to get rid of it and I would LOVE to be left without a scar this time.

Homecoming is about one month away and I am really not trying to go back and have my skin looking jacked. I do know, however, that I will take my foundation to Harrisonburg. Let's not get crazy. I wore it to the wedding Sunday and I'll probably wear it to church and remove it as soon as I get home.