Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Naturally Curly Showcasing Unnatural Curls

I was browsing naturallycurly.com and they had pictures of Oprah in their gallery.

I had to email them...You have several pictures of Oprah on your site, but I am almost positive that she is not natural. Those curls are created with a curling iron. Do you confirm someone's hair status before posting pictures?

Their response...That would be impossible. We take it as a positive that she at least is wearing curls and sending a message that she thinks curls are attractive, stylist, etc. I know where you're coming from, but we decided the message was enough.

The message for who? White girls...maybe for white girls the message is enough, but definitely not for Black girls. Black girls think that curls are attractive; we know that. We will sport a rollerset, strawset, etc. in a minute, but we won't sport our natural curls, coils, and kinks. Thank God for NP! I just wish we could really get the message out to a greater mass. I guess the best we can do is the each one reach one strategy and that may mostly be by example. Talking is oftentimes ineffective...